I always have this crazy morning fantasy. It goes something like this: I will wake up at 4:30, curl my hair, make a healthy and delicious breakfast, go for a quick jog, read the morning paper, have a leisurely cup of coffee and leave the house well coifed, relaxed and ready to start a productive day.
In reality, I always roll out of bed after at least three snoozes on the alarm clock, pull my hair into a relatively unbrushed pony tail, and grab anything that is remotely edible before I am running out of the door despising everyone who dares to stand to close to me on the train. Its almost entirely the same thing as the first scenario.
This is why I decided to venture into the world of oatmeal smoothies. Do you have time for a blender and ice before work? I don’t. But, I do think smoothies seem healthy and enjoyable before breakfast. And I of course want to be able to tell people that I am savvy enough to have a smoothie before work. Oooo.
So, I tried it. It was tasty and quick and required absolutely no morning-of preparation. However, the oatmeal-flax seed blending smelled a little funny. Watch out for that.
- 1 handful of whole grain (non steel cut, non instant) oatmeal
- 1/2 handful of flax seeds (really its supposed to be chia seeds but I didn’t have those)
- 1-2 cups mixed berries
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup low fat greek yogurt
- A splash of fruit juice
Let’s not get fancy with the steps here. There are two basic parts:
- Blend the flax seeds and oatmeal together alone in the blender until they become a fine powder. This is where the funny smell you’re going to ignore comes in.
- Add everything else to the blender. Blend together until smooth.
The mixture thickens overnight and there is no need for ice if you keep it in the fridge. Pretty delish. Pretty genius.